Course approved by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners for 2 CCUs toward the ethics and professional responsibility requirement for PTs and PTAs (Approval Number 56432ETX)
This course, Ethics and Professional Conduct for Texas Physical Therapist and Physical Therapist Assistants, is designed to provide continuing education that focuses on the ethical, legal and moral decisions facing the therapy professional. This course includes information about the Texas Physical Therapy Practice Act, the Texas Physical Therapy Rules, the American Physical Therapy Association Code of Ethics, Standards of Ethical Conduct for the PTA, and the Guide for Professional Conduct for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapists Assistants. Included in the course are scenarios of real life situations that will assist in the ethical decision making process. This course also provides a post-test to determine the knowledge level gained from content of the course.
The State of Texas requires physical therapist to complete 30 hours of continuing competence units and physical therapist assistants must complete 20 CCUs, of which two (2) hours must be in the law or ethics per the Texas Administrative Code, Title 22, Part 16, Chapter 341, Rule § 341.2(f). The requirement of two (2) CCUs of ethics is fulfilled by this course. This course will educate the intended audience to make the correct ethical decisions in the workplace occupied by physical therapist and physical therapist assistants.
Course Goals and Objectives
- To demonstrate a working knowledge of ethics as it pertains to the practice of physical therapy.
- To make ethical decisions based on information gained from case scenarios and the ethical decision-making model presented in the class.
- To understand the history of ethics and it’s place in relation to the field of Philosophy.
- To differentiate between morals and ethics.
- To utilize a model for ethical decision-making.
- To better understand the APTA Code of Ethics for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapists Assistants
- To understand the guides for interpretation of the Codes of Ethics for PTs and PTAs.
- To demonstrate and utilize appropriately the role of the PTA.
- To demonstrate and engage the legal standards of behavior expected by PTs and PTAs.
Lisa Fleming, M.Ed
Leah Hobart, RN, BSN
Carol Hanna, PT, DPT
Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants Licensed in the State of Texas
This course is applicable for introductory and advanced learners.
Method of Instruction / Availability
Online text-based course / available 24/7
Requirement for CE Credits
A score of 70% or greater on the course post-test.
Continuing Education Credits
Two (2) hours of continuing competence credit
How to Get Started
Click the first unit below to begin. If you have purchased this course, you will be able to take the course quiz and earn your CEUs upon marking each reading section complete.