Course approved by Pennsylvania State Board of Physical Therapy for 0.200 CEUs (2 Contact Hours)
The course, Medical Errors and Prevention Techniques is a web-based course designed to provide physical therapists and physical therapist assistants a strong historic background of medical errors in the United States healthcare system. The course presents the initial revelation of the effect of medical errors on patients and the progress that has occurred up to present day. Medical Errors and Prevention Techniques also provides an understanding of a root cause analysis and basics of how to conduct a RCA when needed. Finally, the course will provide information of medical errors that occur in the practice of physical therapy and techniques/process change to eliminate errors including the effects of medication.
To provide Physical Therapists with an in-depth review of the history of medical errors, the government’s efforts to reduce medical errors, and to provide suggestions and techniques to reduce/eliminate errors in the practice of physical therapy in various settings. The successful completion of this class meets the requirements of the Pennsylvania State Board of Physical Therapy for two (2) CEUs.
Course Goals and Objectives
At the completion of this course the participant will be able to:
- Understand root cause analysis and determine if needed.
- Perform a root cause analysis.
- Implement processes to reduce or eliminate errors in their own physical therapy practice.
- Have a working knowledge of the history of medical errors and government intervention.
- Understand the basic processes immediately implemented by the government to reduce medical errors.
- Know the most recent process implementations to further reduce medical errors.
- Identify potential errors in the practice of physical therapy and avert before errors/events cause harm.
- Recognize the role of medications and their effect in physical therapy.
Lisa Fleming, M.Ed
Leah Hobart, RN, BSN
Carol Hanna, PT, DPT
Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants Licensed in the State of Pennsylvania
This course is applicable for introductory and advanced learners.
Method of Instruction / Availability
Online text-based course / available 24/7
Requirement for CE Credits
A score of 70% or greater on the course post-test.
Continuing Education Credits
Two (2) hours of continuing education credit
How to Get Started
Click the first unit below to begin. If you have purchased this course, you will be able to take the course quiz and earn your CEUs upon marking each reading section complete.