Course Approved for 2 CEUs (2 Contact Hours) by the Pennsylvania State Board of Physical Therapy – Approval #: PTCE006032
This course, Ethics for Pennsylvania Physical Therapist and Physical Therapist Assistants, is designed to provide continuing education that focuses on the ethical, legal and moral decisions facing the therapy professional. This course includes information about the Pennsylvania Physical Therapy Practice Act, the American Physical Therapy Association Code of Ethics, and the Standards of Ethical Conduct for the PTA, and the Guide for Professional Conduct for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants. Included in the course are scenarios of real life situations that will assist in the ethical decision making process. This course also provides a post-test to determine the knowledge level gained from content of the course.
The State of Pennsylvania requires physical therapist and physical therapist assistants to complete 30 contact hours of continuing education, of which two (2) hours must be in law or ethics per the Pennsylvania Code. – Chapter 40.67 (a)(2). The two (2) hours of ethics is fulfilled by this course. This course will educate the intended audience to make the correct ethical decisions in the workplace occupied by physical therapist and physical therapist assistants.
Course Goals and Objectives
Following this course the PT/PTA will be able to:
- To provide physical therapists and physical therapist assistants with a working definition of Ethics
- To provide case scenarios for PTs and PTAs to gain practice in using ethical decision making model
- To provide a history of Ethics and it’s place in relation to the field of Philosophy
- To provide an understanding of the difference between Morals and Ethics
- To provide a model for ethical decision making in the physical therapy profession
- To provide the APTA Code of Ethics for physical therapist and physical therapist assistants
- To provide the guides for interpretation of the codes of ethics for PTs and PTAs
- To provide understanding of the role of the physical therapist assistant
Lisa Fleming, M.Ed
Leah Hobart, RN, BSN
Carol Hanna, PT, DPT
Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants Licensed in the State of Pennsylvania
This course is applicable for introductory and advanced learners.
Method of Instruction / Availability
Online text-based course / available 24/7
Requirement for CE Credits
A score of 70% or greater on the course post-test.
Continuing Education Credits
Two (2) hours of continuing education credit
How to Get Started
Click the first unit below to begin. If you have purchased this course, you will be able to take the course quiz and earn your CEUs upon marking each reading section complete.